Saturday, July 4, 2009

Friday and Saturday in Ukraine

The Thursday tour of Kyiv was a hiking adventure. Kyiv is a city on a hill and we hikedup and down to see the sights! We visited St.Sophia,St.Michael's, Independence Square,The Golden Gate and St.Volodymyr's Cathedral.

On Friday Bishop V'yacheslav Horpynchuk of the Ukrainian Lutheran Church presented a program about the history of Ukraine and Christianity in Ukraine. Group poictures were taken and then lunch. Members from the congregations began arriving at the Dubek Conference Center to take the volunteers back to their home towns. Some would travel by van or car, some by train.

I travelled with the group going to Kamyanets-Podilski. It was a 6 & 1/2 hour van ride going southwest of Kyiv. We drove through a terrific rain storm, but arrived to sunshine. The volunteers got settled and we had a wonderful Ukrainian dinner provided by the host family.

Today I had pictures downloaded to my laptop and purchased a wi-fi card in order to include some pictures. Try as I might, I couln't get connected. So I am using a private computer and cannot include pictures at this time. I hope to get my laptop connected to include some pictures also.

Will write more soon.

Kermit Traska

No comments: